With travel becoming all too familiar again, we are remembering that this means lighter pockets. Fortunately for those of us 50+, there are a multitude of money-saving deals that will help bear that cash burden.
Regarding the first leg of your holiday, exhausting flights can at least yield some redemption once you realize that most of the major airlines offer significant discounts to seniors. Some of the most notable discounts include:
- American Airlines: Discounts available for those 65+ (be sure to call and inquire about such deals before booking).
- British Airways: Discounts between $65 – $200 for those 50 and up.
- Southwest Airlines: Various discounts for seniors aged 65 and up (call to apply discount).
- United Airlines: Various discounts for seniors aged 65 and up (call to apply discount).
If flying isn’t your wave and it makes more sense to travel by rail or bus, there are plenty of discounts in that area as well.
- Amtrak: Discount of 15% or more for those 60 and up.
- Grand Canyon Railway: AARP discount saves 15% on Grand Canyon by rail.
- Greyhound: Folks 62 and older can save 5% and may request a 20% discount on unrestricted passenger fares.
Once you arrive at your destination, often a rental car is going to be in tow. Make sure you don’t miss out on any of the following deals offered to seniors by rental car companies.
- Alamo Car Rental: AARP members can receive up to 25% off.
- Avis Rent-A-Car: AARP discount provides a free day on the weekend for those 50+, as well as additional offers.
- Budget Rent-A-Car: With the AARP discount, you receive one rental day free with an intermediate for a full-size-four-door car for 3 consecutive days, including a Saturday night.
- Budget Truck Rental: AARP discount saves those 50+ up to 20% savings on their next move.
- Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off for those 50 and up.
- Hertz: Those 50 and up can save up to 20% off base rates every day and receive additional savings by reserving with code CDP# 2007815.
- Payless: With the AARP discount, get 5% off leisure daily, weekly, weekend, and monthly car rental rates. Promo Code KW47RY will get you the lowest rates.
- Zipcar: Save 43% on a Zipcar membership with the AARP discount.
Now, finally at the hotel, you’re ready to relax and begin you’re long awaited vacation. Yet, nobody wants to feel like the amount they spent on their lodging wasn’t worth the trip. You should be able to relax without feeling guilty that you aren’t visiting tourist destinations for a day. So, avoid the stress and focus on the intrinsic value of your trip instead of the monetary one by tapping into hotel discounts.
- Aloft Hotels: AARP discount saves 5-15%.
- Best Western: AARP discount saves 10% and earns 10% bonus points on your stay. Any guests 55+ also save 10%.
- Candlewood Suites: Variety of discounts for those 62+.
- Choice Hotels: Those 60+ or with an AARP membership will save up to 10% with advance reservations. Select “Senior/AARP” from the special rate dropdown when filling out online or request the “senior rate” when calling Choice Hotels at 800-424-6423.
- Comfort Inn: AARP discount saves up to 10% on the best available rate.
- Crown Plaza: Variety of discounts for those 62+.
- Days Inn: AARP discount gets you 10% the best available rate. Other variable discounts exist for those 60+, just request the “senior rate” when you call at 1-800-225-3297.
- Hampton by Hilton: AARP discounts for those 50+ can save up to 10% off your room.
- Hilton Hotels and Resorts: AARP discount saves you 5% on your room.
- Holiday Inn: Variable discounts for those 62+ or with valid membership ID of a retired persons organization.
- Howard Johnson Hotels: Discounts offered on best available rate for those 60+. Call 1-800-225-3297 and request the “senior rate”.
- Hyatt: Seniors ages 62+ can get up to 50% off.
- InterContinental Hotels Group: Those 62 and up receive discounts on non-discounted room rates (discounts vary by location).
- Knights Inn: Up to 10% off for those 60+.
- La Quinta Inns & Suites: AARP discount saves you up to 10% and offers free breakfast.
- Marriot Hotels: 15% discount for those 62 and up.
- Motel 6: 10% discount for those 60+ or AMAC members who use code CP545906.
- Myrtle Beach Resort: Those 55+ can save 10% on their next visit.
- The Oasis at Death Valley: AARP discount saves 10% on rooms and golf.
- Ohio State Park Lodges: AARP discount saves you 15% off your next stay.
- Park Sleep Fly airport hotels: AARP discount saves you 12% on airport parking reservations.
- Sheraton Hotels and Resorts: AARP discount saves you 5-15% on your next stay.
- Super 8: AARP discount saves you 10% off the best available rate.
- Travelodge: Variable discounts for those 60+.
- Wyndham Hotels: Save up to 20% with an AARP card, or if you’re an AMAC member.
At last, a vacation to remember for the experiences you had and not the bank statements.
If you are taking a Cruise, be sure to ask about discounts for seniors because in most cases, the big cruise lines like Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean will offer discounts to travelers 55 and up.
Lastly, be sure to check out https://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info-2017/senior-travel-discounts-fd.html for an even larger list of discounts offered to seniors that includes things like tour packages and location specific discounts. If you are looking to travel domestically, consider purchasing the National Parks Senior Lifetime Pass, which runs you $80 for unlimited access to over 2,000 national parks and recreation sites for life (62+).